Huxley Game, Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter Game, MMOFPS

Subscribe to the forum RSS feed and keep up to date with all the latest posts!
Go Back   Huxley Forums > Huxley Classes & Races > Huxley Classes

Huxley Classes
Sub Forums:
Avenger - Enforcer - Phantom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-05-2006, 11:32 AM   #21 (permalink)

nubs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to nubs

I dont mind spanw times, i think in a tactical game they are necassary though...

Whilst there is no difference in someone arriving 5 minutes later or 5 minuntes 10 seconds later...

there is a HUGE difference in someone arriving 20 seconds after you killed them and arriving 1 second after you killed them.

The way around spawn times is to have the spawn points well away from the objectives so it takes time get back to the objective, effectively the spawn time is taken up with running rather than looking at the screen. If they use this system then there should not be any spawn points at an objective (works both ways, the points get spawn camped or the objective is impossible to capture).
Old 18-05-2006, 11:45 AM   #22 (permalink)
Training Grounds

Nukewarm is on a distinguished road

You offer a good perspective. Try to keep in mind though, that the objective is what matters. Are you killing for territory, XP, or are the games variations of game types like CTF, DM, DOM, etc. Since there are so many ways to play, it seems like there would be three methods that might end in the game.

1. One game type played (Conquest) that shouldn't (but probably will) use spawn times.

2. Multiple game types played. This would probably be accomplished by instances that host differing game types like CTF, DM, Conquest, etc. This would, however, serve to seperate the community.

3. A combination of the two. A combination of instances offering different game types and a non-instance territory based battle area(s) would offer variety and no spawn times (in instances) with a common battleground (non-instance territory battle area(s)) to unite everyone.

Last edited by Nukewarm; 18-05-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20-05-2006, 10:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
Training Grounds

Daedelus is on a distinguished road

I sort of got mixed oppinions on this after playing BF2 i realize how frustrating the fast spawn times can be as objectives whent back and forth to fast. now having the choice of where to spawn like in planet side was a nice feature with the AMS stations that can be moved forward to the front lines. and the increased time you have to wait if you are killed alot of times." your spawn time has slown down by 5 sec or 10 sec because of the fequency of your deaths" was sort of more realistic.
i do feel the one death per round feature in CS was great and made you appreciate the little bit of life you had. but dont think it will be possible to put that type of feature in a massive multiplayer game.

[Sorry got off subject with my last post.] as far as support classes go i think it would be nice to have something like the combat engineers in planet side with there ACE units placeing mines and static turrets and sensors. or even cloacking/infiltration is sort of support class. or maybe a stand off weapons like an mortar or arty type guy he wouldnt be running around on the front line but shooting long range or spotting for others.

Last edited by Murvel; 21-05-2006 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Two posts in direct connection with eachother
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22-05-2006, 04:23 AM   #24 (permalink)

ArmorKing is on a distinguished road

Heres in idea that goes along with Daedelus's combat support thoughts...

Since there is going to be heavy combat in cities now, it opens up options for ambushs, and or traps.... This is where the Combat support will come in... Mines in the street... prox bombs in alleyways, turrets in random spots making the enemy packing trying to figure out how to get past it. I think that could make things abit more exciting for thus who like to make full plans for attacks.
Old 22-05-2006, 10:00 AM   #25 (permalink)

Yea all sounds reasonable, as long as there is friendly fire or there are ways of removing them if they get spotted, otherwise the map will just get filled with explosives and it would become a complete chore to do anything.
Old 22-05-2006, 11:34 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Felix12g is on a distinguished road

A pity they didn't have one of the power nodes as the playable level at e3 and just a generic urban level design. Might be more indicative of what you'll find and how a support job/class would work in those kinds of environments.

As for the different game types. They'd have to be stupid not to include those game types that drew masses to their old games. Granted these guys didn't make UT, but it is an FPS. One game type (IE foot zerging) to an objective would suck as the only option.
Old 23-05-2006, 03:40 AM   #27 (permalink)

Naughty is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naughty

I hope they put in support classes, almost every basic FPS has them. Doesn't really matter to me what they are, medic, driver, pilot, the game just needs to have them. Anyone know if when you level up you will beable to put points into being a pilot and then and only then will you beable to fly? As for distinguishing different types of classes, support units, grunts...meh I'm kinda half and half...meh not really I'd rather have them not, but if they do, oh well.
Old 23-05-2006, 08:11 AM   #28 (permalink)

Haloplayer is on a distinguished road

Wouldn't that suck though if you and a couple of friends get in to a game and then find out that no one on your team can fly, or there are no medics. From what I've seen, anyone will be able to fly the vehicles. I'm not sure about medics though, the way they showed it your armor recharges. But they have not shown anyone use medkits, pick up health packs, or get healed by a medic so I don't know . But it's still over a year away so anyhting could happen.
Old 23-05-2006, 10:07 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haloplayer
Wouldn't that suck though if you and a couple of friends get in to a game and then find out that no one on your team can fly, or there are no medics.
Not really, thats where the teamwork comes in.
Old 23-05-2006, 05:05 PM   #30 (permalink)
Training Grounds

SpamValiant is on a distinguished road

I guess if between the three of you nobody has a pilot's license, probably one of you will have a driving license.

If there's a lot of territory to be covered, the only time you want to be caught without some form of transport is if you regularly play as part of a larger group and you aren't the designated driver.

Of course, if transport isn't that easy to come by there will likely be some form of free transport like the hart in PS. Not as good, but that's why you want to progress, yes? Getting the shiny toys is all part of the fun. Now if only they'll let me paint logos on mt transport shuttle
Old 23-05-2006, 10:59 PM   #31 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Felix12g is on a distinguished road

To get to the battlefields you ride a tram with other players and npcs that load the new areas by streaming rather than load times. I imagine there'll be different stops for the tram depending upon which you want to go to.
Old 23-05-2006, 11:44 PM   #32 (permalink)

They also said there would be no loading screens, you would seemlessly pass into the instances, that should effectively "hide" the fact you are in an isntanced battle. The home city should absolutely not be multi isntanced like in game slike CoH so that you ahve City1, City2, City3 etc.
Old 24-05-2006, 01:33 AM   #33 (permalink)
Training Grounds

Accidental_Cannibal is on a distinguished road

Hopefully they'll make it so that as you get to the higher levels of support skills/classes, you can perform special actions with various items.

A dropship pilot at the highest levels should be able to use a huge troop and equipment transport that has drop pods that can be programmed to launch in different patterns for dynamic deployment. Much like in the Starship Troopers book.

Or if they do make it so medics are in the game, the ability to heal players should be in conjunction to their skill in their support skill/class. A new medic might only be able to patch wounds or kill the pain for a bit (basic first aid style) while the most experienced medics can bring you back from the brink of death.
Old 24-05-2006, 03:57 AM   #34 (permalink)

Naughty is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naughty

If they do make a Medic a support class I have a feeling it's going to be exactly like it is in WoW. Everyone wants to have one in their party, but no one wants to be one.
Old 24-05-2006, 05:29 AM   #35 (permalink)

Archerofgun is on a distinguished road

They played a #(@!load of planetside thell probly just make medic something you put a couple points into it and carry a medical device that you carry instead of a gun or something
Old 24-05-2006, 08:07 PM   #36 (permalink)

vernes is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty
Everyone wants to have one in their party, but no one wants to be one.
I'm one, and to make things worst, I'm a CE in PS without a weapon. If I'm being shot at, I'd have to plant a turret or climb inside a vehicle as a gunner to stand a chance. I'm the nutso in the middle of the battle taking a bullet-shower while repairing max units.
Old 25-05-2006, 01:47 PM   #37 (permalink)

Why dont you just carry guns in your rifle holsters ?
Old 25-05-2006, 08:41 PM   #38 (permalink)
Training Grounds

He's a real man, he just takes two glue guns and glares at the bullets till they leave him alone
Old 26-05-2006, 10:56 AM   #39 (permalink)

vernes is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamValiant
He's a real man, he just takes two glue guns and glares at the bullets till they leave him alone
hahaha
Yeah that's me, I take on a disgruntled look and intensify it until I have frowns so deep it sucks up all the l33tn3ss in the area.
bullets lose their speed out of pure embarisment and drop still infront of me.

Then I turn around to repair the tank which at this point decides to drive away in reverse and crushes my spine.

AT WHICH POINT I'M KILLED DEAD!
Old 26-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #40 (permalink)
Training Grounds

Gotta love tank drivers.