Huxley Game, Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter Game, MMOFPS

Subscribe to the forum RSS feed and keep up to date with all the latest posts!
Go Back   Huxley Forums > Huxley Classes & Races > Huxley Classes

Huxley Classes
Sub Forums:
Avenger - Enforcer - Phantom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

187 Phantom is on a distinguished road
Default Classes = Armor

Something tells me this is blasphemy around here but its worth discussion..

As I look more and more into Huxley, it seems more and more that player classes and armor type are one and the same.

I found a home video on you tube from E3 2006 which made me ask the question and go back over the words in the shacknews interview.

I don't know how many of you have seen it, but it's here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifkL1uvWsG8

and The Interview i am referring to is here:
http://www.shacknews.com/extras/2006/070706_huxley_1.x

According to the video:
Each player class has a special skill associated with the 'U' button on the keyboard.

It is a bit hard to hear the speaker at times but if i heard correctly::

---For Avengers, the u button activates a skill that lets you see the hit points of an enemy player.

It made something in the interview make sense-- when Kang says "Avengers can quickly gather information on battle situations". When i read the interview the first time before seeing the movie i was like...a class that can gather information...sounds like fun .

---For Enforcers, the u button lets you run faster.

The speaker describes enforcers as heavily armored and short range. So i imagine they're fairly slow so it would make perfect sense to give them the capacity to go fast once in a while.

---Phantoms, the u button skill is a cloak

The speaker emphasised the fact that you uncloak temporarily when you fire.
He predictably described them as invisible snipers but anyone can hide in a window and move just after firing to avoid detection. cloaking is almost universally an infiltration skill, i can't imagine phantoms not having some sort of high-damage melee weapon much like the various blades in planetside or (my favorite) the shocklance from tribes . but sadly no such weapon shows up in the video.

--And something from the interview:
Quote:
For example, a player that is an Enforcer could use a sniper rifle; a weapon specialized for Phantoms, according to his or her judgment. It is possible to use the skills of a type of armor from a different branch by resigning oneself to the reduction in defense power.
It almost appears as if he is referring to enforcer and phantom as types of armor.

Oh, and I have read the article here where it plainly says they are seperate, but no transcript of the interview with kang was given, and the language he uses in the shacknews interview where a transcript IS given can be easily misunderstood. In the writer's rush to publish the article day-of (was posted may 11, 06) he may not have had time to go back over his notes.

So.... this begs the question.

If each class has a specific skill related traditionally to their armor (heavy->run faster::light->cloak), have we all made the possibly wrong assumption that class and armor are different?

For example, i can't imagine a cloaked heavy armor wielding a shotgun, as wicked (and ridiculously overpowered) as that would be.

Thoughts??

Edit:
after reading this
Huxley Updated Impressions - Combat, Skills, Characters, and

it seems that i'm partly wrong in assuming that each class can wear only one type of armor. Possibly they have a system where you specialize in one type but can wear another at the expense of a
Quote:
....reduction in defense power
Quote:
Shacknews Interview
...and possibly your special skill?
It also sounds like there will be more than one type of armor in each of the three categories.

Oh, and is there anyone around?
two days and no reply. that makes me worried

Last edited by gobbly2100; 24-03-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Training Grounds

=S I E G E= is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Classes = Armor ??

> Found and article that might help. Huxley Interview - Shacknews - PC Games, PlayStation, Xbox 360 and Wii video game news, previews and downloads>

"No matter which character you choose, obtaining qualification to use certain weapons depends entirely on the licenses you acquire. In other words, the weapons and armor you use do not depend on what character you created at the beginning. A player can use certain weapons and armor depending on how he or she developed the character."
> >
The article goes on to say how every player will begin in almost identical conditions. Only by progression will they begin to shape their playing style through the use of skill points and licenses. My best guess would be that the first couple of lvls we get a feel for the game and then through the use of skills and licenses depending on what you choose, i.e. heavy armor, heavy weapons etc. you become an Enforcer.

Last edited by gobbly2100; 03-02-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

zeekgenateer is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking that they're talking about not getting specialized armor until a couple of levels.

Oh and seige... can you keep your text white? It's easier to read that way.
Old 24-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Decent_xVICIOUSx is on a distinguished road

lol wow that 1 guy was lagging bad
Old 27-03-2007, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

187 Phantom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by =S I E G E= View Post
>My best guess would be that the first couple of lvls we get a feel for the game and then through the use of skills and licenses depending on what you choose, i.e. heavy armor, heavy weapons etc. you become an Enforcer.

There's always going to be that grace period but I figure that characters who have an established class, say enforcer, will have a much more difficult time using armor from other classes (if that's even going to be possible) than weapons from other classes. Kang cited a reduction in defense power. i assume in reference to using armor of types outside your specialty. and for purposes of balance, it would also have to be at cost to the u-button skill. i cited heavy armors using cloak in my first post as reason for that.

but since the game is still not ready even for beta, anything is possible.