Huxley Game, Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter Game, MMOFPS

Subscribe to the forum RSS feed and keep up to date with all the latest posts!
Go Back   Huxley Forums > Huxley Forums > Huxley General

Huxley General This is the Huxley general discussion area where most talk regarding Huxley is done.
Sub Forums: Huxley PC Forum - Huxley Xbox 360 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Training Grounds

Sanitaw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Huxley Isn't What I Thought It Would Be

Honestly, I wont care as long as the game is fun. Loading screens? big deal. unless they tale more than, like, 5 minutes, it wont bug me. (besides, loading screens give you time to get ready for a match.)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-06-2009, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Training Grounds

robots is on a distinguished road

I could describe it in detail but I wouldn't want to get the forum in to trouble. So if someone tells me I can I will. Otherwise, tough luck
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Training Grounds

ArtikSniper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitaw View Post
Honestly, I wont care as long as the game is fun. Loading screens? big deal. unless they tale more than, like, 5 minutes, it wont bug me. (besides, loading screens give you time to get ready for a match.)

I don't care of loading screens. I mean, you can have a loading way like subway train in WoW. You remember travelling between continents (same with boats), but only with a little screenie showing your path? That rocked!!

I would love a system like that. And for fields, just do something as in Fallout. If you walk, you see until your resolution isn't able to show up enemies. As you scoop, you lose the lateral view, what gets fired out of the RAM, and it's substituted by the frontal sight. And the more you scoop, the more lateral sight is fired, and the more frontal sight is loaded. When you scoop out, while the character takes out the sight, the game fires out the frontal sight and loads again the lateral sight. Of course, the depth of the field si adjustable via graphical options.

That would be the best option, mainly because it's a nice way of not wasting too much resources and making the game look nice.

Another system I like is the Rappelz one. The amount of map loaded is determined by your surroundings. If you stay in the top of a hill where you could see the whole map, you SEE the whole map. As you walk down, the places that start to hide between hills or somewhat gets in your way, starts to be thrown out of memory. That makes game look incredibly nice and have a discrete memory consumption.
Old 15-05-2009, 07:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Chaddledee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Huxley isn't what i thought it would be

Quote:
Honestly, Huxley is really just a glorified FPS with an interactive lobby and RPG system.
Your point? That's its whole selling point. Unreal Tournament with character progression and MMO hubs.

Also, it's hardly for casual gamers. I have never before heard someone refer to twitch action as casual gaming.
Old 15-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Omnisoul[WGN] is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddledee View Post
Your point? That's its whole selling point. Unreal Tournament with character progression and MMO hubs.

Also, it's hardly for casual gamers. I have never before heard someone refer to twitch action as casual gaming.
LOL. Sorry, I'm just enjoying the fact that, no matter how many times you seem to explain it...someone seems to deliberately or stupidly just repeat what was said about the game and how you are wrong, when you are really saying what they are saying and..it's just really really sad.

Oh and yes, as for my views: Waiting until I play it to judge and so on. Don't care what type of game play it is, I just play it. So, for those whining about it not being what it is...wait until you give it a shot first before you shoot it down. Who knows, you might love it!
Old 16-05-2009, 02:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Training Grounds

CidCaldensfey is on a distinguished road

Twitch-style gaming is very casual because of the lack of requirements other than pointing a gun and shooting while not being hit yourself. It is entirely reactionary, easy to jump into, and quickly resolved. Not much else is required.

In conjunction with Huxley's currently existing gamemodes, the game is obviously being catered towards casual gamers. This can be further proven by the fact that not only is Huxley being released for the PC, but it is also being released for the Xbox 360 which is a casual gaming system. Also, it is more economically sensible to aim for that target audience vs. players who want more meaningful gameplay due to both production time requirements and revenue. Why? Because nobody wants to waste time learning how to play a game since they don't have the time or they get frustrated.

Developers go easy on these customers because they are the majority of the gamers. So not only do the developers target this audience due to the amount of money which could be made but also because it's so easy. It doesn't make sense wasting time making something innovative if the general customer base is happy with what they already have. Ezmode.

Also, every time I read Chaddledee's post I sigh. If I had known all I had to do was make a game with that in mind, I would've done it. So easily entertained :D

Last edited by CidCaldensfey; 16-05-2009 at 02:40 AM.
Old 16-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Grind is on a distinguished road

Any game can have casual players and dedicated players. Cornering a game into just being for casual players isn't fair.

Especially saying an entire genre of games are for casual gamers. That's a little much. Considering there are those who spend a lot of time and effort perfecting their "twitch" gaming.

I've said this many times on these forums. Talk to someone who has been in a UT2K4 clan or a quake clan and they'll tell you there's a lot more strategy involved than you think.

And for huxley, yeah you can play it casually, (you can play any game casually) but for those who want more, it's there for the taking. I mean it's an MMO with a leveling system, talent trees, skill sockets, a crafting system and weapons that can be upgraded. With territory battles to worry about and a clan to fight with, I think we'll have enough to keep us busy.
Old 16-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Any game can have casual players and dedicated players. Cornering a game into just being for casual players isn't fair.

Especially saying an entire genre of games are for casual gamers. That's a little much. Considering there are those who spend a lot of time and effort perfecting their "twitch" gaming.

I've said this many times on these forums. Talk to someone who has been in a UT2K4 clan or a quake clan and they'll tell you there's a lot more strategy involved than you think.

And for huxley, yeah you can play it casually, (you can play any game casually) but for those who want more, it's there for the taking. I mean it's an MMO with a leveling system, talent trees, skill sockets, a crafting system and weapons that can be upgraded. With territory battles to worry about and a clan to fight with, I think we'll have enough to keep us busy.

Oh and huxley isn't coming out for the 360 anymore. Not for a long while after the PC version at least. And even then it's a maybe
Old 18-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Training Grounds

reed is on a distinguished road

I swear keeping up with this game is like a roller coaster ride of emotion. Just recently ijji (i dislike ijji, just wanted to announce that) opens their website for huxley and releases the beta signup. Now I'm seeing rumors about a q4 release. Ever since I heard about this game it's been nothing but excitment/depression. Atleast they couldn't possibly postpone it past then...they just couldn't...right?
Old 18-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sorry for the double post above, I didn't notice till just now.

Yeah it's a bummer we could still have 6 months till release. But considering we're just now getting a beta, that's not too bad.

Compared to how long the wait has been already, 6 months isn't much lol
Old 24-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Omnisoul[WGN] is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Sorry for the double post above, I didn't notice till just now.

Yeah it's a bummer we could still have 6 months till release. But considering we're just now getting a beta, that's not too bad.

Compared to how long the wait has been already, 6 months isn't much lol
Hey, if a good bunch of us from the forums get into the CB, it should not be a huge deal to wait, so yeah, I agree with you Grind on how the wait is only 6 more months (now I know I am pretty much new and you all have been waiting years for this game, I'd still find some other game to mash buttons on in the meantime if I were you). I also wish the best of luck to whoever signed up for CB.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Training Grounds

Can I talk about Beta here? I'm not in it but my friend is and I've played it.

Last edited by robots; 09-06-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:13 AM   #13 (permalink)

KrazyKain is on a distinguished road

I love how newage gamers think that oldschool fps action is casual when in truth its only the very MOST hardcore of first person shooting
Old 10-06-2009, 08:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Training Grounds

I think the hardcore/casual debate is a waste of time really. It makes some sense in MMORPG's, but not in a game like this. There is health and armour so it's not like some recent shooters where you only die if you take continued fire, otherwise you just recover. Enemies can be shot in the head and body so the game can identify headshots unlike some old FPS's. And besides running and gunning, there are some skills/abilities to use at the same time. So it's not a dumb shooter, but it's not rocket science either. Besides that, there isn't a whole lot to talk about whether hardcore or casual. It's just an FPS. It's not like with MMORPG's where there is a history of extremely harsh death penalties and time requirements for raiding and things. This just doesn't have any of that.

The truth about this game is that it's basically an elaborate UT3. At first I was a little disappointed that it didn't have a massive open world that you can drive around, exploring and shooting and stuff. However, when you come to terms with that, you realise that it's still a great game, and it's better than pretty much all other online FPS's.

Once this game is released, I can't imagine ever playing a "normal" online FPS any more, like Unreal Tournament, CoD4, Counterstrike or Team Fortress or whatever. It might not be a massive leap forward in to a huge Planetside2 type of game, but it's still a step forward from other FPS's on the market. It's clearly the future of FPS's as far as I'm concerned and I think when this happens with games, it instantly makes all other FPS's seem aged.

The only FPS I know of on the horizon, that I can imagine keeping me away from Huxley, is something like Operation Flashpoint 2. Assuming that game is good anyway. Normal FPS's like UT3 though, don't stand a chance as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by robots; 10-06-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yep, huxley certainly isn't your classic mmorpg (which I'm extremely happy about). I am excited to see what high end pve has to offer though. It could in fact have some quests that require decent players of specific classes to take down some crazy bosses. But we'll have to wait and see.

And from what I've read on the forums (here and on ijji) this beta only has a very small portion of the game. It's basically to test the balance issues and connection issues.

Webzen did say that they still plan on having the 100vs100 battles on huge maps.

So I think it's only going to get better as we see more and more of the game.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
Training Grounds

Yes absolutely. The maps I played on were all quite small deathmatch and team deathmatch maps, but I only reached about level 6. I think later on, as you level up, the maps will get bigger and more elaborate. Eventually I expect you'll be playing on huge "Onslaught" type maps with vehicles and stuff.

There are vehicle slots in your owned equipment page so it's obvious they are going to do this. I just can't wait to get the full game and level up to that point It's great because it teaches you to play the game by keeping things simple at the start and gradually gets 'bigger' as you play, but it also makes the game very addictive because you are always 'getting somewhere' and working towards something.

And yeah, the PVE stuff is a really nice change from the PVP stuff. I've only done a bit of it so far, but it played as well as a single player FPS in my opinion, which is high praise. Again, I think like the PVP combat, the PVE content will get more and more elaborate the further you get. So at first it just sends you in to a little valley to kill 10 insects, but it gets more interesting each quest you go on. So again, I suspect that later on there will be cool bonuses to be had from doing high end PVE, and I think this might be quite big scale with lots of other people.

It's definitely something I would really like to buy, unlike Hellgate: London for example. I saw the beta of that game too but I found it really repetitive, small scale, and claustrophobic. This game is a far better experience. I can't wait!
Old 08-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Training Grounds

Specops5412 is on a distinguished road

I just want to know how the OP and a bunch of other people ran into the conclusion that it's just a city. We have no idea what else there is.
It's a BETA.