Huxley Game, Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter Game, MMOFPS

Subscribe to the forum RSS feed and keep up to date with all the latest posts!
Go Back   Huxley Forums > Huxley Forums > Huxley General

Huxley General This is the Huxley general discussion area where most talk regarding Huxley is done.
Sub Forums: Huxley PC Forum - Huxley Xbox 360 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Training Grounds

Nighthawk4 is on a distinguished road
Default Huxley Isn't What I Thought It Would Be

as you may know, or not know, Huxley is coming to Europe/America named as Huxley: Dystopia (http://feature.mmosite.com/content/2...35607648.shtml). and i read much reviews about it, and i have discovered that it isn't what i expected it to be. i heard from transport systems like trains, and owning your own vehicles. but apparently you can't just drive out of town. the city is just... a city, lol. you fight in the old room-style maps. so i just hope it will be like planetside, or else it really isn't that great.:(

Last edited by gobbly2100; 17-05-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-02-2009, 03:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Grind is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Huxley isn't what i thought it would be

It seems like they're doing their best to control the battlefields (FPS usually do their best to be fair/equal teams etc.) while still giving it that open world feeling.

You don't just sit at a loading screen, but you travel to the battlefields on a train (which acts as a loading screen). Streaming technology (or whatever it's called) lets you load and talk to the other people on the train at the same time (something like that).

So yeah, technically there will be caps on how many people can enter a battle, but hopefully they'll do it in a way that immerses us into the game and makes it feel all openworldly :D
Old 11-02-2009, 06:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Nytemare37 is on a distinguished road

I agree with the OP, this game isn't anything that I expected it to be unfortunately. I was hoping it would be a streaming FPS, but instead we get a fancified lobby that you join into rooms in which you duke it out with 32 other people. Not to mention its like Unreal Tournament, which as nice of a game as it is, not what I was hoping for. This isn't an MMOFPS in my opinion, it's just an FPS with RPG elements thrown into it that has a lobby that you can walk around in. To me, an MMOFPS is one in which the world is streamed and you can travel from battlefield to battlefield without having to watch a loading screen. I.e. Planetside.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytemare37 View Post
I agree with the OP, this game isn't anything that I expected it to be unfortunately. I was hoping it would be a streaming FPS, but instead we get a fancified lobby that you join into rooms in which you duke it out with 32 other people. Not to mention its like Unreal Tournament, which as nice of a game as it is, not what I was hoping for. This isn't an MMOFPS in my opinion, it's just an FPS with RPG elements thrown into it that has a lobby that you can walk around in. To me, an MMOFPS is one in which the world is streamed and you can travel from battlefield to battlefield without having to watch a loading screen. I.e. Planetside.
The loading screen will be a train ride. So it's just like walking between battlefields.

It's kind of the same thing. I mean, when you walk from zone to zone while playing WoW, the game loads as you walk.

In Huxley's case, the game will load while you're riding on the train, and you can still talk to others in real time.

and it's with 199 other people, not 32.

If they put it together well enough, it really could seems like it's a true open world. Fingers crossed
Old 03-03-2009, 03:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

makavelli914 is on a distinguished road

Lol, does anyone even follow this game anymore. Bro, when i was in eighth grade i couldn't wait for this game, it was supposed to come out the fall of my freshman year and I was so hyped up about the "open world" and the "AT LEAST 200 man battles" and the questing, gear, and things like that. In reality, I've got one quarter left in my Junior year now and the game still isn't out, and over the course of development EVERYTHING became downgraded. You would see trailers of guys traveling in an APC for like a mile openinga door to a building a fighting like 500 hybrids in a huge warehouse (without any loading between zones involved) and then they run into a huge group of Alts and they clash. 1. The game was promised as an open world game just like any other MMO, anyone ever play natural selection (half Life mod) where you run into the tunnel for what faction u wanna be. This games that with an actual environment as a lobby, and the biggest player vs player fights are 20 v 20, you get 24 more players than that in a battlefield 2 map... and bf2 is by no means an MMO, though it wouldn't surprise me if BF2 offers larger more detailed maps and better gameplay than this game, maybe even the terrible progression system in BF2 will beat this game out. Everyone should do themselves a favor and just stick to games that come out close to what was intended and promised and aren't delayed 4+ years only to make the game worse.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

It's ok, we all get frustrated sometimes.

We forgive you
Old 10-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Killzorz is on a distinguished road

I know i was kinda hopeing for the whole open world thing but i got over it because both factions both run the same dungeons so we could always find a good fight in there . But i was also hoping that we could attack the opposite factions citys and stuff. (perhaps claim them as part of our faction now?)
Old 16-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

baddb0y93 is on a distinguished road

Yes I agree with the OP. This game has really let me down, i was hoping for the whole open world concept too but o well. Well if your looking for the whole mmorpgfps seamless world i suggest you take a look at Earthrise, looks very promising and based on pvp. But if the game ever does come out in the us ill give it a try.
Old 16-03-2009, 11:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Chaddledee is on a distinguished road

What people fail to grasp is that it is an open world. There aren't loading screens. You go seamlessly from one place to another, and it loads as you go from one place to another, just as any other MMO game does. Even if you do need to wait for it to load, it is still in a persistent environment.
Old 17-03-2009, 12:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

I doubt you can just walk right into battle with your gun in your hands you have to take a dam train into that set instance, and only a set number of people can enter those battles at a given time which makes it feel closed off.
Old 18-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #11 (permalink)

Nytemare37 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddledee View Post
What people fail to grasp is that it is an open world. There aren't loading screens. You go seamlessly from one place to another, and it loads as you go from one place to another, just as any other MMO game does. Even if you do need to wait for it to load, it is still in a persistent environment.
Yes there are. There just aren't any loading screens in the lobby, but battlefields and dungeons are instanced and separated by loading screens.
Old 17-03-2009, 12:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

Trust me, having another 199 people in your close vicinity will not feel closed. Most MMOs will only have a peak of 50 characters in your area at once. In most MMOs, it loads as you walk. This means you seen people spawning at your peripheral vision, and in an FPS, it just isn't plausible. It would cause monumental lag as well. By using the train thing, you can still speak to people, it will very much feel open, and it doesn't have the shoddy glitching caused by reloading a character everytime he re-enters your vincinity. It is as open as plausible for such an epic game.

Last edited by Chaddledee; 17-03-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 17-03-2009, 02:55 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddledee View Post
. In most MMOs, it loads as you walk. This means you seen people spawning at your peripheral vision, and in an FPS, it just isn't plausible. It would cause monumental lag as well.
That is a damn good point! When playing mmos I always see people popping up around me while the environment loads.

That would be a nightmare in an fps.

We have to keep in mind that certain things in an fps are much more important compared to things in traditional stick and board mmos.

If an mmo isn't balanced, you kind of just wait till it gets fixed or find a way around it. In an fps, fairness is a much bigger factor. Player caps have to be set and guns have to be relatively balanced.

Fps players take their stuff seriously. It's not always about the story, it's about good intense fps action.
Old 18-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Orly? Oh well. It really doesn't make that much of a difference. No seriously, how much of a difference does that make? Like I said before, if it were a streaming FPS, it just wouldn't work. Loading beforehand is much better IMO.
Old 19-03-2009, 06:25 AM   #15 (permalink)

Yeah, to be honest, I wanted to be a completely open world. But it's going to work relatively the same.

People just want the novelty of an open world. But once you start playing the game, I don't think it'll be a big deal.
Old 20-03-2009, 04:09 AM   #16 (permalink)

Well without that open world we were promised i won't be playing and I'm sure 100s of other people won't be playing it just for the same reason. For you guys wanted an seamless and open world no loading screens whatsoever you guys shud check out Earthrise literally thousands of people can play together and a fast paced fps/tps like huxley.
Old 20-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

Dude, according to their FAQ, that has gameplay nothing like Huxley's. It's in third person, which is crap. The thing that makes Huxley awesome is the fact it is a FPS.

I'm telling you, NONE of the good MMO games lack loading screens. After further investigation, WoW even has loading screens between different areas. I really don't see where they promised ANYONE a seamless world. They promised them a world where you can interact with thousands of people at once, which you can.
Old 20-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

well obviously you didnt read enough, you can zoom in to a fps or zoom out,
even tho WoW has loading screens your still active and moving you cant see the loading screens.

"The devs have already stated that they intend to not have any instancing, or as little as possible, and will make their best efforts to make the game world one seamless piece of terrain that will not involve zones or loading."
Old 21-03-2009, 12:27 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
well obviously you didnt read enough, you can zoom in to a fps or zoom out,
From what I read in their FAQ/Guides, it only said TPS.

Quote:
even tho WoW has loading screens your still active and moving you cant see the loading screens.
Actually, between certain areas, WoW has actual loading screens. Screens where you wait, and see a cool bit of artwork or whatever, and wait for it to load.

Quote:
or as little as possible
It's would be implausible, and crap, and possibly impossible due to server strain, to have no instancing. Of course, if you feel the need to complain that "That guy appeared out of nowhere!" or "Grrrr! It's so laggy!", then this may not be the game for you.
Old 29-03-2009, 05:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Training Grounds

SCT1981 is on a distinguished road

When I first heard of this game I too was expecting a virtually seamless world. I know WOW and other MMORPGs have loading screens between major zone changes such as a continent or planet but anyone can run into anyone else, including the opposite faction, at anytime during questing or even in enemy cities as long as it's not a BG or dungeon. I really wanted to be able to be questing out in the open world where I could possibly run into the opposite faction resulting in spontaneous PvP. From what I've read and heard about this game is that it's like Guild Wars where the PvE and PvP are instanced... You or your group get your own instance when PvEing.

The only thing that still gives me hope for this game is the large scale BGs. I hope it's stays free2play because I really don't think I'd pay $15 or more a month to play an instanced MMO.

Last edited by SCT1981; 29-03-2009 at 05:29 AM.