Huxley Game, Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter Game, MMOFPS

Subscribe to the forum RSS feed and keep up to date with all the latest posts!
Go Back   Huxley Forums > Huxley Forums > Huxley General

Huxley General This is the Huxley general discussion area where most talk regarding Huxley is done.
Sub Forums: Huxley PC Forum - Huxley Xbox 360 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-02-2006, 02:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Zulu is on a distinguished road

true
Old 02-06-2006, 05:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Training Grounds

Nukewarm is on a distinguished road

If fire only damaged apponents, the team killers couldn't do anything, the innocent players that make a mistake won't get punished, and no one gets killed by their own team. Everyone wins.

Any kind of friendly fire would be a big mistake. Don't overthink the solution.

Last edited by Nukewarm; 02-06-2006 at 05:14 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-06-2006, 07:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Archerofgun is on a distinguished road

There needs to be friendly fire because

1) If there isnt you can just storm and shoot w/e like a idiot and still kill
2) Ever come to the instance where you have to get back to the base fast and walking is not an option? And you tell your friends "Dude kill me I gotta get back to the base fast!!" with FF off you would have too limited options
Old 02-06-2006, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Felix12g is on a distinguished road

Yes, without FF on, Huxley would turn into a massive spam fest. When people actually have to watch their fire the game completely changes. Try a few games with and without FF and you'll notice a big difference to play styles.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-06-2006, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

nubs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to nubs

Weaponlock / Grief systems work well, they are proven to work well so just use them, it should deffinitely not be a game where there is no friendly fire, as others have said it just encourages spamming.

The planetside grief system isnt perfect, because they apply grief to each grief event, so damage to one person is worth the same grief as damage to 30 people, you can orb strike a group of 30 friendly's, kill them all and get the same grief as if you loose a stray bullet that catches a friendly target.

Its pretty forgiving and teamkilling does happen, but it cant go on indeffinitely and it wasnt a big problem in planetside. In 3 years of planetside i got weapon lock once, after a very intense 7 hour battle.

You also only get grief in planetside when you s hoot people who aren't in your outfit or squad.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Training Grounds

Darrksy is on a distinguished road

The unfortunit part is this will aply to me, on all the games i play i love having something big that makes a BOOM! That extends from being a Wookie Commando in SWG to knowing the location of every sticky grenade and rocket launcher in Halo 2. Alot of times I throw a grenade (type or yell in my mic) "Get down grenade" and 50% of the time an over brave ally trying to take out the opposition by himself runs right into the blast and of course dies. About 30% of those people get pissed at me for killing them even though its entirely there fault, my question is if there is xp loss or rooting or whatever hows the system going to be able to tell the difference between an intentional TK and an over-eager noob?
I'ld say have a team leader on the battlefield that can send a quick tell to both sides figure out the correct punishment.
Or this game could be realy nice to me and have no Friendly Fire.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Assasin1015 is on a distinguished road

Ya I think ex loss and the red flaged idea are really good. However why not just make it that there is no FF? Because sometimes you accidentally kill someone on your own team. EX. Running them over with a vehicle. So it would stink if u accidentally killed someone and then lost exp or become a target for both teams.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Felix12g is on a distinguished road

Friendly fire makes games much more fun believe me. Without friendly fire you've got grenades and automatics shooting any old place. It's spam city and the calibre of the gameplay is down. Besides, if some little shit is being a prick I want to be able to drop a 12 gauge in his face.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Archerofgun is on a distinguished road

Please play the trial version of Planetside im positive that everyone will find that TK/FF punishment system the superior one.

Cuz it takes some effort to get a punishment, for simple accidently friendly fire you only get a little greif, but if you start causing FF/TK very frequently you start being punished more greatly untill you eventually get weapon locked.

Example: You accidently 12g an ally in the face thinking it was an enemy, You get
10 greif and a little message in your chatbox saying that was bad of you. Next you get 100 greif in only 10 miniutes, the system assumes that was not an accident and any greif you get after the 100 for the next 10 mins is triple the greif. So you instead of 10 greif for shooting your ally once you get 30-40 that can get you quickly to 1000 greif and a 20 min weapon lock
Old 11-06-2006, 05:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Training Grounds

Daedelus is on a distinguished road

I am very tossed up on the subject. i think it might be good to have no friendly fire so you have no complaints of tk ers out there and you can just focus on your attack with out worring about 'hey this jerk just Tk'ed me". But at the same time i could see how the guy with a chain gun just mowing away shooting threw friendlys and hitting the enemy on the other side or just spamming grenades with no dammage to your side. it could make a balance issue ( i could imagine ton's of guys just using nades) and you wouldn't stand a chance to get in close range to fight them.

maybe something to ware the few random hits and splash dammage wouldnt do to much penelty but a purposefull full assault on a friendly player should have some consiquensess(< spelling wrong probably) not sure what to think of the tank that runs over a friendly by accident,it so hard to see and in the heat of battle could be alot of infantry running around would hate to see a tanker we need get penelty for running over a grunt by accident.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Training Grounds

vnicker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Punishment For Friendly Fire

Was to lazy to realy read this forum so srry if i repeat somthing

There should be a team kill tracker and if it gets rly high the name turns a sorten color, and when that name is that color u cant join the game without more than half of those who are playing.

for example: A person with 1k team kills and 1.2k total kills goes to join a game that is all rdy in war on a side it shows name then team kills/total kills n players get to vote him in or keep him out if u dont respond it acts as a no
so if u didnt mean killing some team mates itll only be like a couple team kills to a lot, so wont affect them

Keeps large tk ppl out
Old 24-02-2006, 03:08 AM   #12 (permalink)

FallHammer is on a distinguished road

Or they can do what they did in CoD2. If you shoot your own teammate you would take the damage of what you would of done... like...

If I shot my own teammate in the head with a sniper I would be shot in the head (preatty much a instant death)

... Atleast this way your own teammate will laugh at you when they acidently shoot them with a rocket :D
Old 04-06-2006, 06:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Training Grounds

Arrows is on a distinguished road

Assuming Huxley has some sort of grouping system ( X people per squad X squads per platoon,maybe even bigger?), I don't think you should recieve any punishment for TKs or team damage caused to people in your group. This is because when you are fighting in close proximity you may hit someone, especialy with things like shotguns, grenades, and other AOE weapons.

I think a grief point system like the one in PS would work well, you do team damage you get grief points, the more damage you do the more points you get. At certain increments you would recieve penalties, such as slower run speed and slower reloading, eventuly it would move into weapon and vehicle restrictions. Grief points wll decay over time and could be removed by providing medical care to friendly players, asuming you can do this in game.

Edit:

I think punishing for team damage is better than punishing for a TK because a griefer can just shoot an ally untill he is almost dead and not be punished.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Training Grounds

Reignier is on a distinguished road

I completely agree with a grief system because it makes it fair for the new people who havent quite got the hang of say throwing a grenade and happen to blow up some team mates from time to time but also decreases the number of dousche bags who enjoy tking. plus grief for taking dam is smarter than tk because of the previous comment.

but like Archerofgun said "Ever come to the instance where you have to get back to the base fast and walking is not an option? And you tell your friends "Dude kill me I gotta get back to the base fast!!" with FF off you would have too limited options"

because of things like this i really think there should be a button to push after youve taken friendly damage that would apply the grief. ive played games of cs where if you get tked you get a list of options of things you can do to the person. however if you just get shot once then you dont get the box and it would be a pain in the ass because it would get in the way. so why dont they have lets say [f10] be the key to push if someone shoots you and you want them to apply the grief. and have it work for 30 seconds after the time you were shot. so if your at the spawn and someone shoots you once in the back as they run by you can apply the grief but if your in a situation where you know its an accident or the quote situation people wont get in trouble.

questions? concerns? hostilities?
Old 05-06-2006, 08:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

Udonis is on a distinguished road

I agree with FF being on(should be at least some reality in game)

the punishments however i belive should be something like this

excessive teamkilling in a battle like say 5 tk's in few minutes......but theyre should be a way to differentiate....for instance accidentals tk's as a group's buggy running into your rocket launcher resulting in 4 tk's(ACCIDENTAL) mostly the accidental one's have 2 or more tk's at the same time ex. a grenade goes off and 2 friendly's get caught in the blast.

Now the punishments for the jakass thats runnin around purposefully tking.
(i think there should be a few devs that only handle these tk situations.)
The tker gets automatically removed from battle and brought back to the city in a building.(they do this in Matrix online) were the dev tells the Tker the consequences.... which i think should be weapon locked and red flagged above his name for all to know about his tking on the battlefield.... If the tker does it again when he gets off his weapon lock account banned for a week...if he comes back and does itr again BANNED FO-EV-ER
Old 05-06-2006, 10:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

KingGryphon is on a distinguished road

I think a good solution for differentiating between accidental team killing and purposeful team killing is feedback, like in Halo 2. In Halo 2, if your the host I believe, and someone kills you you have the option to push the X button and boot them, now for Huxley you would do something simialr. After you get killed by a teammate you would have an option to "forgive" or to "punish" then the FF system will take this into account. Say the system of X points does X punishment or X teamkills that are unforgiven does X punishment etc. Beasically it gives the option of the person who did the team killing to explain themselves say sorry yadda yadda and not get punished, while still allowing people to punish for doing it too often or purposefully.
(")_(")

Virtute Et Armis
Old 24-02-2006, 04:06 AM   #17 (permalink)

syphonbyte is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to syphonbyte Send a message via MSN to syphonbyte Send a message via Yahoo to syphonbyte

I say that FF shouldn't be enabled. Sure, it's more realistic with FF and strategic, but there would be too much abuse if FF was enabled, no matter what the consequences.
Old 24-02-2006, 11:42 AM   #18 (permalink)

vivin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to vivin

Not everyone gets angry when tk'd, and if your clan memebers then even i doubt they would turn on their own clan... I also have a feeling ff wont be on because It can be abused easy.
Old 24-02-2006, 03:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Murph is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Murph

None of the above for the poll... i play Planetside and FF is always the problem you are about to finish a guy off when a friendly runs infront of you and you put a shell into his back and get grief and maybe kill the friendy... when it wasnt even your fault that the guy walked into your line of fire. i dont think there should be much of a punishment for FF being there will be kill stealers and all of that which there always is in a FPS. and i get TKed alot and i have caught myself OrbitalStriking a group of 5 flails because that one idiot in the group TKed me.

FF is usually an accident or a mistake on the victims part so why give a punishment for it?
Old 24-02-2006, 03:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

Lexion is an unknown quantity at this point

I just missed putting in an option for no punishment.

Still, what about those who deliberatly go in to destroy gamplay for others?

Hopefully a monthly fee will discourage less serious ppl.