Huxley Game, Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter Game, MMOFPS

Subscribe to the forum RSS feed and keep up to date with all the latest posts!
Go Back   Huxley Forums > Huxley Classes & Races > Huxley Classes

Huxley Classes
Sub Forums:
Avenger - Enforcer - Phantom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-05-2006, 07:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Training Grounds

(LoF)Fierestrike is on a distinguished road
Default A Class System

I've had nothing but good things to say about this game thus far, however..

Why would they implement a forced class system? Based on the E3 interview, you have to specialize in long, medium or short range..

That's crap. Why FORCE a person to play anything? Give the weapons themselves requirements to armor and call it a day. (Light armor = Sniper Rifles, Heavy = Shotguns, etc)

Why confine player characters to a set role? Have soldiers be generalized with general XP, and let them carry whatever loadouts they want into battle.

There's no reason for a class system whatsoever.

I love this game's premise and idea so far, but they are starting to waver a bit from the MMOFPS ideal. First they say they're going to "section off" battle areas and adjust them to levels, and now they're going to have classes too?

Is this Arathi Basin? Soon will it be true that you can have all the twitch skill you like and get owned by some toolbox with a railgun?

Let's hope this trend gets turned around towards the MMOFPS genre, and a lot less of the MMORPG trend. We've got plenty of those already.

Is there even a definite answer in regard to world PvP? Or is it going to be recycled "Battleground style" Maps played over and over?

I want this game to be implemented and designed as awesome as it can be. Turning it into a MMORPG isn't doing that.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15-05-2006, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

winged is on a distinguished road

your joking, right?

i made a long post showing how you where wrong.... then i realized even if you did read it you probly wouldn't realize if you got what you wanted the game would tank so i just deleted it.

you want a choice? choose not to play.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15-05-2006, 11:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mantis is on a distinguished road

I agree with the original poster. If you want to see a truly innovative system, look at Planetside. They use "cerification points" , and different things cost different amount of cert. points. For example, a level 10 Character might have around 15 cert. points. Sniper Equipment is 4, Flying Scout vehicle is 3, Heavy Weapon is 4, Heavy Armor is 4, Cloaking Gear is 2, Trike is 1, Light tank is 2, etc.....

So as you level up you can "cert" in more things. Obviously you cant use everything at once but as you level up, you get more options.

It is a great system and Webzen should take a really close look at it.

Note - There are some contradictions going on with webzen and the "class" system. I have seen where they say there will be 3 classes (short range, medium range, and long range) but then they also say you can mix and match gear. This begs the question -- WHY even have the three classes if you can mix and match gear anyway?

Last edited by Mantis; 15-05-2006 at 11:17 PM.
Old 15-05-2006, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Archerofgun is on a distinguished road

Oh, i thought the class's were such as Heavy Brute, Spy/Assasin, and something inbetween

The Brutes would be able to take more damage and have heavyier armor but they might move slower or such

The Assasins are quick in nimble and cant hold "heavy" weapons

The middle i guess is like and inbetween

Thats how i saw it
Old 16-05-2006, 04:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

connnnn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to connnnn

Where did it say there would be a forced class system?

They also mentioned you can mix and match weapons and armors to fit whatever role you need to play.
Old 16-05-2006, 05:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Training Grounds

(LoF)Fierestrike is on a distinguished road

I love random, uninspired flames. Go get ganked in WoW. Kthx.

Anyways, I could live with classes if they allow you to mix and match virtually everything.. but then again, (like was mentioned) why have a class system at all?

By the way, Penny-Arcade had this to say about Huxley's E3 showing:

Quote:
Huxley – Here was a game that promised a MMOFPS using the Unreal 3 engine. What I saw in their booth was an uninspired dime a dozen FPS that looked more like Unreal 2. It certainly didn’t look anything like the stunning video they released a few months back. The PR machine for this game is in full effect but it’s all smoke and mirrors. There’s no game there, at least not yet.
More than anything I want this game to succeed. But Webzen should start paying attention to what makes shooters fun, and not what appeals to the marketing department.
Old 14-03-2007, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Alpha Wolfgang is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Class System

hmm... i just hope the game balances itself well... like, a phantom shouldnt be able to fire a minigun as well as an enforcer, and enforcer shouldnt be as precise as a phantom with a sniper rifle.
Old 17-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Training Grounds

Ao1xVerem is on a distinguished road

interesting
Old 17-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

zeekgenateer is on a distinguished road

Hooray for one word posts that add no meaning to the topic!

I'm probably going to be a phantom so it can't get too unbalanced against me if I'm sniping people from far away. From experience a game has to be balanced to keep people coming back, but unbalanced enough so that it doesn't get too boring. For example character A is fighting character B. Character A is a higher level, and has better weapons, however B is a FPSer and easily takes down A. The unexpected should happen and a little bit of unbalanced combat between classes would be good. Phantom gets better aim but Enforcer gets higher rate of fire.
Old 21-06-2007, 04:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Slimjim is on a distinguished road

Fierestrike, I totally agree with everything you said besides the classes. I've played WoW since release, and yet instanced pvp is lame, and unfortunately huxley (LOOKS) like its following the same path, I really want more planetside capture the world kind of action, with huge rewards that made people fight for the planet. However, about the classes, I think it makes it a lot more fun. I would rather not see a guy with a rocket launcher, a super high powered shotgun, the best sniper rifle in the game, and other *Censored Word**Censored Word**Censored Word**Censored Word* running around the map. I want to know that the each class is limited to a certain thing, they might branch out and get other stuff, but at the loss of their points and usefulness.