Huxley Game, Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter Game, MMOFPS

Subscribe to the forum RSS feed and keep up to date with all the latest posts!
Go Back   Huxley Forums > Huxley Forums > Huxley General

Huxley General This is the Huxley general discussion area where most talk regarding Huxley is done.
Sub Forums: Huxley PC Forum - Huxley Xbox 360 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Sephina is on a distinguished road
Default They always come in pairs and compete (Huxley included)

Since the beginning I've noticed that when one MMO is released, there's always one released around the same general time period to compete with it. In the beginning, I believe the first 2 was Ultima Online Vs. EverQuest. Another notable pair is EverQuest 2 vs. WoW. And then most recently, Wrath of the Lich King expansion vs. Warhammer online, both releasing siege weapons and encouraging players to take stuff over (granted, all WOTLK had for players to take over was a lake called wintergrasp, but that's a topic for another discussion forum).

All this time I had been thinking Huxley would be an exception to this rule, because as you'll notice, the MMO genre is lacking in the scifi department. But I was wrong. Another company has seen the opportunity, and noticed the lack of scifi FPS in the MMO genre apparently, and are creating Huxley's "competitive other," this game right here: Hi-Rez Studios :: Global Agenda: Home

Just like Huxley U.S. release, it too is in an alpha or early closed beta stage. It too is intended to be a persistently running MMOFPS that will run off the Unreal 3 engine. That being said, it's probable that it will be released around a similar time period (within a year of each other maybe), making it Huxley's competitive other. Who will win the higher customer base? Will one go down in ruins like Tabula Rasa and Shadowbane have? Or will it be as WoW vs. EQ2 where one got the higher customer base, but the other got plenty enough to thrive and continue running?

I'll be keeping an eye on both (unbiasdly). May the best MMOFPS win!

- Sephie
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Training Grounds

MgFalcon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: They always come in pairs and compete (Huxley included)

It look like a cartoon... like seriously, a f'ing cartoon! haha!
Old 04-05-2009, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Chaddledee is on a distinguished road

It's crap, BTW. It has "60 v 60" battles. Which actually means 5 instanced battles each with 12 v 12 in. It also seems to lack visual character customisation.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-05-2009, 01:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

WheredPlanetsidego is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to WheredPlanetsidego

EHH I SOUND LIKE A BROKEN RECORD, BUT I WANT PLANETSIDE BACK tEAR
Old 05-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

KrazyKain is on a distinguished road

you neglect to notice theres also Parabellum and the agency
oh, and the rerelease of Face of Mankind

but huxley wins in the end because all of these are pvp only.. and while i love the thought of massive pvp, i also love the thought of co-op missions.. oh except the agency.. that looks equally awesome

Last edited by KrazyKain; 05-05-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 23-07-2009, 02:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Training Grounds

Dimes is on a distinguished road

the main problem that plagues all these "mmofps" shooter games is they quickly become infested with hackers.

also there are multiple versions of "mmofps" shooters out there if you look around. crossfire, combat arms, operation7, war rock all advertise themselves as mmofps, and then another game in beta is parabellum advertising itself as a mmo fps.

so in addition to the one you posted, thats a lot more than a pair, heh.

anyways the one thing ALL of them have in common is they are heavily infested with hackers.

most of the time you cannot play these 'mmofps' games without just being the victim of various hackers over and over again.

while the games like cod4 and cs that arnt 'mmo' and have player run servers almost never have this problem.

its because the servers are player run and the hackers get banned a minute after they show up. it doesnt take days, and they cant just use another account, they are IP Banned in minutes.

because of this hackers are almost non-existant on most servers because its just not worth their time. they can have more fun playing a game like huxley where the victims cant do anything about it
Old 23-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

RhinoNeil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimes View Post
while the games like cod4 and cs that arnt 'mmo' and have player run servers almost never have this problem.
Almost Never? dream on.
Old 23-07-2009, 03:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Grind is on a distinguished road

It seems like the problem with hackers always depends on the player.

I've played plenty of cs games where there have been hackers (it usually depends on what server you play on though). Some servers are a little more relaxed, while clan servers will definitely ban you within minutes or seconds.

But even when playing games like Soldier Front (an IJJI game that is well known for being infested with hackers) I don't care all that much. It isn't THAT bad like everyone makes it sound.

However, in a game like Huxley where stats and kills actually matter, I might have a different opinion. But I'd probably just get my squad together and take down the hacker together
Old 23-07-2009, 06:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Training Grounds

1Shotwonder is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 1Shotwonder

very true ^
Old 27-07-2009, 03:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Training Grounds

Laughing Wulf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephina View Post
Since the beginning I've noticed that when one MMO is released, there's always one released around the same general time period to compete with it. In the beginning, I believe the first 2 was Ultima Online Vs. EverQuest. Another notable pair is EverQuest 2 vs. WoW. And then most recently, Wrath of the Lich King expansion vs. Warhammer online, both releasing siege weapons and encouraging players to take stuff over (granted, all WOTLK had for players to take over was a lake called wintergrasp, but that's a topic for another discussion forum).

All this time I had been thinking Huxley would be an exception to this rule, because as you'll notice, the MMO genre is lacking in the scifi department. But I was wrong. Another company has seen the opportunity, and noticed the lack of scifi FPS in the MMO genre apparently, and are creating Huxley's "competitive other," this game right here: Hi-Rez Studios :: Global Agenda: Home

Just like Huxley U.S. release, it too is in an alpha or early closed beta stage. It too is intended to be a persistently running MMOFPS that will run off the Unreal 3 engine. That being said, it's probable that it will be released around a similar time period (within a year of each other maybe), making it Huxley's competitive other. Who will win the higher customer base? Will one go down in ruins like Tabula Rasa and Shadowbane have? Or will it be as WoW vs. EQ2 where one got the higher customer base, but the other got plenty enough to thrive and continue running?

I'll be keeping an eye on both (unbiasdly). May the best MMOFPS win!

- Sephie
Global agenda= TF2 in the future as a mmo lol
Old 29-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Wulf View Post
Global agenda= TF2 in the future as a mmo lol
I love TF2 so that could be interesting. Uses the UT3 engine though so not certain it could live up to TF2 standards. Interesting though.
Old 30-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Training Grounds

Laughing Wulf is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: They always come in pairs and compete (Huxley included)

From what I have seen in the beta, its like H.A.V.E.
H.A.V.E Online Preview
and tf2 had a scifi baby. God my wallet is going to have an Aneurysm, huxley/H.A.V.E./risingearth/Global Agenda... etc
all coming out in q3 of 2009; like its a conspiracy or something...
Old 30-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Wulf View Post
all coming out in q3 of 2009; like its a conspiracy or something...
They say they are all coming out in Q3 09. I would bet at least half of those titles don't make it.
I will go even further and say I bet that half do not make it being released in 2009.
Old 31-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Training Grounds

LoganAZ is on a distinguished road

I want the old Planetside back as well... It will never ever be topped :(