Huxley Forums

Huxley Forums (http://www.huxleygame.com/forum/)
-   Huxley News (http://www.huxleygame.com/forum/huxley-news/)
-   -   Games Radar Preview Huxley! (http://www.huxleygame.com/forum/huxley-news/2498-games-radar-preview-huxley.html)

gobbly2100 20-12-2007 07:01 AM

Games Radar Preview Huxley!

MMO meets FPS in this ambitious persistent shooter
Dec 17, 07

There’s no place for moonlight walks on the beach in Earth’s far future, because the planet’s celestial satellite is no more. An unidentified object has demolished the moon, causing earthquakes and tidal waves that ravage the Earth’s surface. In the wake of these apocalyptic natural disasters, mankind’s struggle for survival splits the species into two rival factions - the “normal” Sapiens and the mutated Alternatives. The war between the estranged sides is the story behind Huxley, Korean developer Webzen’s upcoming MMO shooter. We got a chance to playtest both the RPG and shooter elements of Huxley, exploring the massive digital cities and battling both human and AI opponents in deathmatch dungeons.

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/...shot_large.jpg

Siding with the Sapiens faction, we started off by customizing our avatar. The Sapiens are split into two physical groups, the ONE and the SYN, which only differ in their visual traits (the ONE are pure humans and the SYNs have slight mutations). After tweaking our facial structure and hair - typical MMO avatar features - we picked one of three play classes, which determine your fighting style and what weapons or armor you can utilize. As the Phantom class, we were a ranged attacker, with lots of energy abilities but weak armor capacity. Huxley will offer players nine weapon categories (Rocket launcher, shotgun, etc.) with hundreds of statistical permutations that you can purchase of loot.

In addition to weapons, we equipped our character with skills, which are both passive and active combat abilities that are used in the real-time deathmatches. Huxley’s skills seem fairly typical and offer expected bonuses, such as faster sprint or improved vision. Picking your skills will be an important part of giving yourself an edge in combat. Each piece of armor has a one to three skill slots; we geared up with infrared, sprint and double jump. Other options available included cloaking, tackle, clone decoys and others that will be unlocked as you level up.

Speaking of levels, gamers in Huxley will rank up through quests and combat to a tentative 50-level cap (which should take about three months of play). At around level 30, you acquire the ability to craft and tune weapons, and the post-level 50 game revolves around clan play and group questing. Dedicated players will eventually earn enough in-game currency to buy property, vehicles and gain special titles like “Gladiator.”

Exploring the Sapien home city of Nostalonia, we were impressed by the intricate amount of style and detail that went into each building and vehicle. Nostalonia is made of six districts, each ornately designed with unique architecture. The main area resembled a Victorian city with a steam punk vibe. Cable-car trolleys that provide inter-city transport stood out against the futuristic looking cars parked along the brick roads. Eska, the Alternative’s home city, will have a completely different style and high-level raids will let players on one side catch a glimpse of their rival’s domain.

Between Nostalonia and Eska are “Battle Zones,” the wastelands where the two factions fight for valuable “Lunerite” energy sources. Huxley will ship with around 20-30 Battle Zone maps at launch, which will support standard deathmatch, team deathmatch, radar domination (control point capture) and component collection PvP gameplay modes. PvE quests take place in Battle Zones and also in underground sewer dungeons, where players face off against a third AI controlled faction: the Hybrids. Defeating these NPC monsters slowly unravels a plot that reveals the secrets of the lunar Armageddon and the dark history of Huxley’s world.
On one PvE quest, we drudged through winding tunnels and large laboratories, blasting away at low-level Hybrid beasts. Slaying these NPCs was fairly easy with circle-strafing, but Webzen promises that the AI will prove to be more challenging in later stages. More exciting, though, were the PvP matches where we faced off against the developers in mid-sized 4v4 maps (the largest maps will accommodate 20v20 firefights). Here, our team automatically formed a squad, which gives each member health buffs when close together. Indicators on the HUD show the direction of your teammates and when they were sufficiently close for squad-status, which was very helpful after respawning from untimely deaths.

As for the gameplay, Huxley’s deathmatch mechanics felt familiar and responsive, as if we were playing Unreal Tournament III (it helps that they’re both built on the same game engine). Learning to activate skills and familiarizing yourself with the wide arsenal of weapons is what makes this more than just your typical online shooter. Competing with 5,000 players to be top dog on a server is a more exciting venture than topping a leaderboard in a random online match. As long as the final deathmatch mechanics are up to snuff, the promised persistence and long-term rewards that come along with being an MMO definitely makes Huxley an exciting proposition for both MMO and shooter fans.

Compliments Of Games Radar

Mad dog DD07 20-12-2007 12:23 PM

Re: Games Radar Preview Huxley!

This game is getting better everytime i look at it and the faction i am going to be is human :) and wow it takes three months to get to level 50, that going to take me forever to get to 50, but it more fun when u have to work at it

And nice review by the way from Games Rader and thanks for posting this up Globby2100 the more information the better :).

shneb 20-12-2007 11:22 PM

Yo evry 1 back for a chek up lol. Gobbly gr8 post thank u explained alot and i rly rly rly cant wait to play this game i dodno what race i wana be now lol

Udonis 22-12-2007 05:43 AM

this review made my nipples hard....;)

Murvel 22-12-2007 10:50 AM

Relax Udonis and take ten deep breaths. ;)

D0gSoldi3r 22-12-2007 09:06 PM

You got to play the beta test, you son of a bitch gobbly2100 :biggrin: Jealousy is oozing out my pours right now :eek:

SO the beta test hits the shores of the UK, can't wait till it hits the shores of Scotland. :)

BPz 24-12-2007 12:37 AM

I am going to go insane waiting for this game to release!!!

Doubtfire 24-12-2007 10:56 PM

Good review.

eclipsedmind 25-12-2007 08:01 AM

AWWWWW.I have to wait longer,and know how good it is looking

D0gSoldi3r 25-12-2007 08:39 AM

Kinda feel lied too, There was nothing but news about the 100 vs 100 death match modes and now there saying 20 vs 20 i mean wtf.

xenu 25-12-2007 02:39 PM

I agree. the huge battles were by far the coolest thing about this game. After almost two years of very little info they change one of the biggest things about the game 3 months before it comes out? The only people who are really disapointed by this are the people who are big fans and have been following the game for a while. I hope there is some sort of misunderstanding.

Siberian 26-12-2007 09:23 PM

I would think that 20 v 20 was just to demo the game to the reviewers. Especially when non MMOs can support up to 32 players.

illincrux 27-12-2007 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D0gSoldi3r (Post 28740)
Kinda feel lied too, There was nothing but news about the 100 vs 100 death match modes and now there saying 20 vs 20 i mean wtf.

They said, "evnetually 100 vs 100 matches".

Decent_xVICIOUSx 28-12-2007 09:29 AM

Why is everyone so down? ITS FIANLLY COMING OUT and i am willing to bet that there WILL be mods of sum type for 100v100 pvp match action or they may just release an expansion pack and improve everything. Oh and did they mention anything bout my minigun i cannot wait to custom tune that baby
and a big thank you to Gobbly for the site its amazing hopefully this site will have its very own server now wouldnt that be sweet? OF course it would well thank you for the updates Gobbly hope to play soon:biggrin:

custom tuned minigun i cant stop drooling and stop thinking bout the possibilities for it

Blazen Ace 28-12-2007 12:23 PM

Bigger battles don't necessarily mean better battles imo. They did say 100v100 battles in the first stories, but I'm hoping that they redirected their manpower to try and fine tune the quality of the PVE and the smaller squad PVP. Get over 20 people playing in a match together, its going to take some outstanding netcode (which UT3 lacks in). I respect the newer era of 16v16 battles being considered 'small', but for me and I believe many of the UT/Quake players out there the smaller size in greater quality is more appreciated.

D0gSoldi3r 31-12-2007 09:41 AM

Yes but mmo stands for MASSIVELY multiplayer it aint massive with 40 players MASSIVE means thousands not dozens, So it's very, very misleading, dishonest and just plain nasty if it's not true.

Decent_xVICIOUSx 31-12-2007 11:37 AM

I bet ther will be exceptions and different game types tweaked just like FPS and MMOs have patchs for everything maps weapons gear players game types etc... just wait and see

xer011 31-12-2007 09:23 PM

I've been following this game for years. If it isnt 100 vs 100 huxley can suck on a knob.

shneb 31-12-2007 09:49 PM

id be a bit disapointed if there wasnt 100 v 100 matches but it wouldnt stop me from getting it.

Udonis 02-01-2008 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shneb (Post 28856)
id be a bit disapointed if there wasnt 100 v 100 matches but it wouldnt stop me from getting it.

while id be disappointed you all have to see maybe why their doing this.....

I used to play BF2 and at first i wanted to play the 64 v 64 matches....In all reality though their not fun....their's no teamwork and the only thing everyone wants to do is get the armored tank or plane so they can rack up the kills and improve their rank.... i find the 16 v 16 more "realistic" and "tactical" but that's just my opinion.